Sunday 17 January 2010

Spinning a Yarn....

...Literally! Today I made my first ever handspun yarn so I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. I started off with some pink fluffy stuff for practice, no idea what it was and I ended up with this

Photobucket


Not bad for a first try I thought! Then I set the twist and made my first ever skein. Ta da!

Photobucket


It's not perfect but I was feeling confident enough to dig out the shetland fibre I bought at the Manchester Yarn Day and after a bit of drafting I had a lovely pile of purple fluff (and purple hands!) So I spun that up too which was bit more difficult since the fibres seemed much more coarse than the last lot, and it's currently hanging upstairs to dry. This is the stuff, from local spinner and dyer Krafty Koala. The colourway is called Butterfly. Lovely.

Photobucket


Photobucket

So after a rather productive day I went in to the kitchen and made an apple crumble. Now that's another first!


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. It looks really good for a first attempt. My first attempt looked like a bungy cord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I would love to watch you spinning and see how it's done one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job. I ran across your blog and so now am a follower. Stop by mine and visit when you have the time.

    Crocheting My Best With My Worsted
    http://crochetingmyworsted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete